On-page SEO is the practice of optimizing individual web pages in order to rank higher and earn more relevant traffic in search engines.
On-page refers to both the content and HTML source code of a page that can be optimized, as opposed to off-page SEO which refers to links and other external signals.
On-Page SEO Example
Website code and site structure changes
- Renaming website files and creating 301-redirects for your old file names
- Creating HTML and XML sitemaps and uploading/verifying them with webmaster tool sites
- Using special tools to improve your website speed – a known ranking signal
Optimizing on-site content
- Creating pages for every target service
- Creating geographically targeted content
- Revising title, meta, and heading tags for each page
- Adding information and reference sections to the site
- Ongoing blogging and news blurbs